Friday, January 18, 2013

UGHHHH...Protein Shakes (lol)

I just finished WORKING!!! Like ugh...it's our busy time in my department :) Extremely thankful to have a job though...

So I'm going to keep this concise...Rochelle asked me about protein shakes and I thought I would make it into a post.

Protein shakes are disgusting! LOL!!! My trainer explained to me that in order to build lean muscle, it is necessary to take in a significant amount of protein a day. Because I was so sore in the beginning, he assured me that supplementing/increasing my protein intake would help with the muscle soreness as well. When you are trying to build muscle, your protein intake needs to be .6 to .8 g per pound of weight per day. So let's say you weigh 180 pounds, your protein intake needs to be between 108 to 144 g per day. Now you can get this protein from food, but for someone like me that doesn't eat meat on the regular, that is difficult to do. Meat is one of your significant sources of protein.

This is where the infamous protein shake comes into play. It's a great way to supplement your protein intake per day. I personally HATE them...especially since I choose to drink mine with just water and nothing else. My thought process is that the only reason I'm drinking that shake is to get protein. If I add more things to it, I'm adding calories.

So! What's the point? Protein shakes work! They may not taste good but they do work. I find that if I do a protein shake before I go work out and one after I work out, my muscles are less sore and I find that my recovery period is shortened. Find one that works best for you keeping in mind that some of them have a milk base which will bother you if you are lactose intolerant. You want to choose a protein shake that is low calorie, low sugar and 100% protein. Be careful about some protein shakes because some of them have a bunch of other stuff in it that you don't need. I think it's best to go with a powder than something that is already bottled up because those tend to not be 100% protein.  I personally use a soy protein, unflavored shake and I am JUST starting back to drinking them.

Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the protein shake. Not the best tasting. I make a fruit smoothie and incorporate my soy based protein powder. It gets a little grainy, but it's more tolerable.

    ReplyDelete