Sunday, February 24, 2013

Turbulence

Yesterday was a travel day for me and I always seem to learn something when I'm on a plane. If there is one thing I hate, it's turbulence. I've learned to deal with by closing my eyes, pretending I am sleeping or just holding on for dear life lol. The last time I flew with two of my girlfriends, both of which are not big fliers, we hit some very rough patches.....we all held each others hands. The truth is, their fear was real and I can't remember the last time I had felt so nervous in the midst of turbulence.

Yesterday I flew out really early...it was still dark and it was raining. I began to mentally prepare myself for a rocky ride getting out of Charlotte. I put my hood over head and temporarily fell asleep, but soon I woke up and was a little more attentive when I felt the jerking of the plane. The flight attendant came on the speaker and said they were asked to stay seated as the pilot was attempting to find a smoother stream of air to fly in. Not too long after, we hit a smooth patch and were flying pretty steady for the remainder of the flight.

You may say, April, what does this have to do with health and wellness? I'm getting there!! Lol. My point is this, on your journey, you're going to hit some rough patches. It may be a time of great change in your life, good or bad. I say good or bad because truth is, some good change has negative effects on this journey too. I mean how many people do you know that hasn't gained weight when they start "falling in love"???? lol....Change and how you respond to change bears heavily on your health and wellness journey. You may have friends or family that start experiencing turbulence and it's natural for you (like it is for me) to carry them and feel their pain. These are just a few things that can affect this journey of yours. Many of us resort to what is comfortable when we hit our rough patches. What is that for you? A candy bar? Two? A pint of ice cream? Laying in your house with all the lights off and getting no exercise? I ask these questions because, well, I've been there! I understand.

You have to remember this....you WILL find the smooth stream of air. The turbulence will subside at some point. Don't allow yourself to get sidetracked because you hit a small patch of trouble. Stay the course...find your smooth stream...trust me it is there. And before you know it, you'll be cruising again....30,000 ft in the air...life will balance out again and you'll be better prepared for it because you didn't allow you circumstance to change your resolve.

I believe in you! You can do this!

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments: